Monday, August 30, 2010

To Vinh Long

I just got back from visiting my parent's hometown, Vinh Long. On my mom's side, I've got a fair share of family there and two aunts from my dad's side. I was there for four days so didn't get the chance to visit everyone properly--another visit has been demanded.

So a couple of revelations from being in Vinh Long.

1) My mother really was incredibly pretty when she was younger. I never got to see any photos of her before she had come to the U.S. and it was great to see the few photos her family had taken of her before she left. Being in Vietnam has allowed me to learn tons more about her and I've come to admire her very much...To devote your youth to taking care of your family, helping your parents make an income, raising your younger siblings (the youngest was born when my grandma was almost 50!), refusing suitors because getting married would mean being unable to continue supporting your family...and then leaving Vietnam against your father's wishes in hopes of raising them out of poverty. I wish I had the same sort of passion and strength she did.

Here is my Ma Mi when she was around 20 years old. She is in the center wearing a salmon colored ao dai. The aunt I live with now is on the right of her.

2) Vietnamese people (or at least my family, both here in Vietnam and the U.S.) are incredibly adept at picking out little differences in physical features. For example, every time I visit my grandma, I'm either skinnier or fatter (which is what they prefer considering my paper thinness). I apparently I have a very good and pretty nose that I got from my dad. And I'm also getting too dark. From the encouragement of my aunts and cousins, I combatted the darkening powers of the sun with this get-up:


3) Riding a motorbike is tougher (for me) than I anticipated. I think my lack of balance and easily spooked nature doesn't help.

4) I really enjoy having cousins my age. In the U.S., everyone is either much older or younger than me. Having Tam around has been a lot of fun and it allows me to goof off. I'm glad I've finally met these guys:

So now, I'm back in Saigon and trying to get things set up for beginning work. It's good to be back here since it's like home now and to be away from the mosquitoes who love Viet Kieu (people who are Vietnamese by ethnicity but don't live in Vietnam) blood for whatever reason.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your mom looks stunning in that photo! :)

    ...And you sorta remind me of a Japanese motorcycle gang member in that sun-blocking getup. lol.

    Take care out there to not get sucked dry by those darn mosquitoes! Love ya~

    - Janny

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..thats awesome stepy!!! ur mom is so pretty just like u and tran!!!! we would loooove to vist u in dec... it would be soooo fun but humid...take care!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo! I love this post! really brings out the some little details from your mom's past. Everyone is a hardworker stephy. Someday your children will appreciate your hardwork.

    ReplyDelete